Whether you’re an independent trucker out of Hattiesburg or managing a fleet in Jackson, appropriate insurance is crucial. The best options for commercial truck insurance in Mississippi will give you ongoing peace of mind and financial security. Our team at American Insurance Brokers has been setting companies up with Mississippi commercial truck insurance since 1980. Our knowledgeable staff will guide you through the process, whether you’re shopping for new coverage or filing a claim. We provide fast, efficient, and straightforward insurance options. Plus, you can always count on us to be there when you need us the most.
Do I need commercial truck insurance in Mississippi?
Like most states, the Mississippi state government mandates certain commercial truck insurance requirements. If you only operate within the state, for example, you must get a MISS P.S.C. permit number. Depending on the type of goods you’re transporting, you may also need to have the following liability coverages:
- $300,000 for household goods
- $750,000 for general freight
- $1,000,000 for oil transport
- $5,000,000 for hazmat materials
If you cross state lines, commercial truck insurance requirements include federal coverage. Typical liability minimums are between $750,000 and $1,000,000. The state and federal government also require that certain forms be filed, including BMC-91X and MCS-90. Read on for more details about this paperwork and how our agents at American Insurance Brokers can help you stay compliant.
What does commercial truck insurance in Mississippi cover?
No matter where you travel along I-55, American Insurance Brokers helps you find solid options for commercial truck insurance in Mississippi. When you’re navigating the open roads, battling traffic and weather conditions, you need coverage for a range of situations.
Your cargo, route, and many other factors will have an effect on the specific coverages you need. These are some of the different types you’ll find in our Mississippi commercial truck insurance policies:
- Commercial auto liability: This type of insurance generally covers injuries to other people or damage to property if you or one of your drivers is at fault for an accident. It may also pay for your legal defense costs if a lawsuit occurs.
- Physical damage: Physical damage is a general term for a group of insurance coverages that protect your truck or other commercial vehicles. This can cover collision insurance, as well as comprehensive insurance or fire and theft with combined additional coverage (CAC) insurance.
- Medical payments coverage: This type of insurance coverage can help cover medical expenses for you and any passengers in your vehicle who are hurt during an accident.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This type of insurance usually contains three separate insurance coverages that are categorized together. They generally protect you if you’re involved in an accident with someone who is uninsured or underinsured.
- Trailer interchange insurance: This type of physical damage insurance is important for trailers being pulled under a trailer interchange agreement. This insurance protects you financially if the trailer is damaged by collision, fire, theft, explosion, or vandalism.
- Non-trucking liability insurance: When you’re under permanent lease to a motor carrier, and you’re not driving under dispatch, non-trucking liability insurance can provide the truck insurance coverage you need at an unlimited radius.
- Motor truck cargo insurance: For-hire truckers usually need this type of insurance to cover liability for cargo that is lost or damaged due to fire, collision, striking of a load, or other major events.
- Motor truck general liability: For-hire truckers or motor carriers require this type of coverage for injuries or property damage resulting from business activities unrelated to their core operations.
- Garage keeper’s legal liability insurance: This is a type of insurance that can cover financial costs for a vehicle you don’t own if it is damaged by a collision, fire, theft, explosion, or vandalism while you are towing or hauling.
- Storage location insurance: Do you offer towing services or operate service stations? This type of insurance protects a customer’s vehicle when you are keeping it at a covered location for parking, storing, or to perform service.
- Workers’ compensation insurance: Workers’ compensation insurance may cover medical costs and a portion of lost wages for an employee who is hurt on the job.
Whether you’re hauling dirt to a construction site or towing stranded drivers, American Insurance Brokers can help cover your vehicles. There are so many different types of trucks taking to the roads of Mississippi.
Our portfolio at American Insurance Brokers includes:
- Dump trucks
- Straight trucks
- Tow trucks
- Car carriers
- Tank trucks
- Box trucks
- Moving trucks
- Flatbed trucks
If you don’t see your commercial truck on this list, don’t worry. At American Insurance Brokers, we understand the unique complexities of the trucking industry. We provide commercial truck insurance Mississippi workers can count on. Chances are, we probably offer the coverage you are looking for. Get in touch with us to find out more about how we can serve you.
Your state and regulatory filings
No matter where your route takes you, commercial truck insurance requirements always include regulatory filings. These forms are full of legal jargon that can be tough to navigate. When you work with American Insurance Brokers, you can rest assured knowing you’re always in compliance.
You can count on our team to handle or facilitate the following regulatory filings:
- FMCSA: Consists of filings for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- MCS90: States that the driver will have access to a minimum amount of money to pay for injuries in the event of an accident
- BMC34: Shows proof of cargo liability coverage
- BMC91-X: Shows proof of public liability insurance
- Form E: Demonstrates that drivers carry the minimum insurance requirement for Mississippi
- Form H: Confirms that drivers carry the minimum cargo liability insurance requirement for Mississippi
- OS/OW COI: Proves that drivers have sufficient liability insurance to operate oversize or overweight vehicles
- SR22: This Shows that drivers have filed minimum liability insurance with the Mississippi motor vehicles department
Every business is unique. Where you travel and what you’re hauling (if anything) will influence your filing requirements. You can trust our team at American Insurance Brokers to closely examine your needs to ensure accuracy.
Where we serve
At American Insurance Brokers, we go beyond Mississippi with comprehensive insurance options for companies across the South. Our Mississippi commercial truck insurance agents can help you find coverage in the following states.
How does Mississippi commercial truck insurance work?
If you’re searching for comprehensive and customizable coverage, the team at American Insurance Brokers is your best bet.
Commercial truck insurance in Mississippi is not one-size-fits-all. Our experts will assess exactly how much you need to protect yourself against property damage, liability, and more. If you’re running a large fleet with dozens of drivers, we know how much is at stake. We can figure out exactly how much insurance you need to protect your workers.
When you work with American Insurance Brokers, you have decades of experience on your side. Our team has been serving truck drivers across the South since 1980. We are in a unique position to provide top notch options for commercial truck insurance in Mississippi.
We understand that commercial truck insurance requirements vary from business to business. With this in mind, it’s always our goal to find a policy that suits you specifically. Our staff members will do an in-depth analysis of your business to understand the full scope of your needs. We will discuss where you typically travel, what you drive, and whether you’re usually hauling anything.
Because we are committed to the highest level of customer service, we expect the same from insurance companies. The 35 “A” rated companies we work with must be responsive to your needs. If disaster strikes, it’s important to have a team who will work tirelessly to get you back on the road.
Your comprehensive annual review
An annual review of your Mississippi commercial truck insurance is an essential part of the customer service we offer. This is an opportunity for us to make sure you have the coverage you need at an affordable and reasonable price. We provide this free and thorough review for any potential client. Plus, once you’re on board with us, we will complete this process every year.
What can you expect from this type of review? First, we want to see that your current plan has appropriately low deductibles and high limits. The amount you will have to pay before the insurance company makes any payment should be relatively low. When it comes to the absolute limit on what the insurance company will pay, the number should be considerably high.
Next, our team will check for compliance with all federal and state requirements. This has to do with the regulatory filings we previously discussed in this article. While there are many forms to keep track of, your insurance company should always ensure that you’re up to date with the latest compliance requirements.
Finally, we want to make sure you are working with an insurance company that is responsive to your needs and questions. If disaster strikes, it’s important to have a team working tirelessly to get you back on the road. We partner with 35 “A” rated truck insurance companies to get you the coverage you deserve.
Your first choice in Mississippi
When you’re looking for commercial truck insurance Mississippi drivers can count on, American Insurance Brokers is your first choice. Our agents understand the demands of the Southeastern trucking industry. With long-term experience serving the area, we offer the highest level of reliability and expertise.
Have questions? Contact us today to learn more about how we can help your trucking business get on the road, safely.